Today is Spirit Day, the annual day in October when millions of Americans wear purple to speak out against bullying and to show their support for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) youth
As many as 9 out of 10 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students have been bullied, according to the 2009 National School Climate Survey. And recent findings from the National Transgender Discrimination Survey revealed that kids who show any kind of gender non conformity reported alarming rates of harassment, physical assault and even sexual violence.
Bullying leaves long lasting impressions, and has no place in our society.
- Stand Up For LGBT Youth And Rally Against Bullying On Spirit Day! (perezhilton.com)
- Facebook To Go Purple On Friday To Support Gay Youth (allfacebook.com)
- We are Catholics. We support #SpiritDay. (catholicboyrichard.com)
- LGBT Spirit Day 2012 (amaranthmine.wordpress.com)
- NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, WNBA and NASCAR join GLAAD’s Spirit Day on Friday (outsports.com)
- Purple Power! (out-spoken.org)
- PepsiCo To Go Purple On Spirit Day In Support Of Bullied Gay Teens (ontopmag.com)
- Spirit Day Edition [What You Need To Know] (bilerico.com)
- Katy Butler Asks President and Romney to Wear Purple (advocate.com)
- Jesuit Author Supports Spirit Day Activities (newwaysministryblog.wordpress.com)